The Challenge of Sub-Contracting
A non-trivial but frequently overlooked part of contractor delivery is subcontractor management. Many companies outsource or partner to satisfy parts of their operations. This presents a major business challenge for ISN’s customers to keep track of the complexities that result from sub-contracting.
On projects, contractors utilize sub-contractors who in turn may also utilize sub-contractors and so forth. This results in clients that may have limited visibility to the risk and compliance of their subcontractor community.
ISN felt that the complexity that resulted from these real-world, multi-layered relationships could best be modeled using a graph database. ISN lacked the experience to bring their vision to a reality which led them to seek out and engage the services of Expero.
Expero worked with ISN to define use cases and refine design considerations in the following manner:
Use Case Design Considerations
Some of the key design considerations included:
- Graph traversals of unknown or highly variable depths
- Algorithmic composite risk scores based on business relationships as described by graph relationships
- Highly performant Cypher queries in small server footprint
These lean approaches would enable a quick design while building just enough technology to make sure the project started out on the right track.
The Neo4j graph database was selected for the prototype for the following reasons:
- It is easy to install and performant in single mode, which allowed an environment to be stood up quickly.
- It comes out of the box with an HTTP/S REST API and a simple GUI console (the Neo4j Browser) to inspect the data.
- The small footprint allowed for extremely rapid building, deployment and testing.
Of course, getting graph technology up and running is only the first step in unlocking the meaningful utility that this type of connected data can provide, and ISN and Expero look forward to further work together in discovering graph insights and building additional value for clients.
Expero is a Bronze sponsor of GraphConnect New York. Use discount code
EXPERO20to get 20% off your tickets and trainings.
Get your ticket to GraphConnect New York and we’ll see you on October 24th at Pier 36 in Manhattan!
Sign Me Up