This section describes how to plan for an upgrade of Neo4j.
This guide describes the following:
8.1.1. Supported upgrade paths
The following upgrade path is supported:
3.5.any → 4.0.3
The following steps are required if you need to upgrade from a version earlier than 3.5:
- Upgrade to version 3.5.latest by following the instructions in the Neo4j Operations Manual for 3.5.
- Upgrade to version 4.0.3 as per instructions in this manual.
- Neo4j does not support downgrades.
If the upgrade is not successful, you have to do a full rollback, including restoring a pre-upgrade backup.
- A Neo4j upgrade must be performed as an isolated operation.
If you are planning to upgrade from a single-instance installation to a Causal Cluster, this must be performed separately
from the migration to 4.0.3.
- In order to further minimize risk, it is recommended that while migrating, you do not switch from Community Edition to Enterprise
Edition, change configuration, perform architectural restructuring, or similar tasks.
8.1.3. Prepare to upgrade
Refer to the 4.0 Migration Guide for details on how to prepare for this upgrade.