SummaryWe are turning the virtual conference scene on its head. NODES 2021 will be a live, fully immersive, fully engaging experience, and to get the most out of it, skip watching the post-event recordings, and keep June 17 free so you can be there on the day.
It’s Been a Tough 15 Months for Many of UsPandemic challenges aside, we’ve all had a hard time at different points over the past year. Our ways of working have been turned upside down. We’ve had to make big changes to our jobs and how we communicate with our colleagues. Understandably, many virtual events have gone down the pre-recorded route to combat many challenges, such as managing time zones worldwide and accommodating varying internet qualities. However, after many months of mostly online meetings, catching up with videos, and general disconnect, we’re all feeling the effects of zoom fatigue. For NODES 2021, we’re going to do something different. We’re bucking the trend, and we’re going live. The first NODES event, held in 2019, was a live event, and we’re going back to our roots.
First of All, A Shout-Out to Our Community PartnersWe’re thrilled to have a great group of community partners supporting us to make NODES a more engaging event. Thank you all for your work to create a more inclusive culture in technology.
Why Is NODES 2021 Different?
- 94% of all the talks at NODES will be delivered live. We will have over 50 talks across five tracks, with presenters from the Americas, Asia, and Europe.
- Our five tracks are in a streaming set-up — if you want to watch all of the talks in the Best Practices track, you won’t need to lift a finger.
- We have an interactive Q&A panel made up of the speakers, community partners, and the Neo4j team to answer all your questions.
- We have scheduled breaks to allow you to pace yourself through the conference, take a breather, grab some snacks, and get to know your fellow attendees.
- We know that not everybody will be able to join in live for the whole day. Pre-NODES is back again this year with community guests from around the world, so no matter where you are, you can join us on the day. The Pre-NODES show will start at 7 a.m. UTC/12:30 p.m. IST/3 p.m. SGT.
- We are planning something very special for the main break, and you will not want to miss it. Watch this space for more information!
Don’t Forget Our Discord Server!As well as being able to use the chat room in each of the tracks on the streaming platform, we will also have dedicated text and voice channels on our Discord Server. The streaming tracks set-up this year will offer many ways to keep the conversation going throughout the day and beyond. The channels will become available shortly before the event. The Discord server isn’t only just for NODES! It’s a great place to meet fellow graphistas, join in with training classes, take part in exclusive sessions, and be a part of the graphy conversation.
How to Get ReadyHopefully, you’ve been persuaded to join us on the day of NODES and take part in our fun activities. So on to the next question — how to get ready?!
- First of all, don’t forget to register!
- Plan your day! You can check out the agenda here. Think about what talks you’d like to watch live. While not everybody will be able to watch all of the content on the day-of, with Pre-NODES starting the show, followed by the main event, we hope there is something for everyone.
- Join us on the Discord server. Don’t forget to say hello in #introduce-yourself ?
- Think about your environment. Can you relocate to a comfortable sofa? Perhaps you can stream the conference from your TV or tablet, or make other changes to make it feel different from the usual “work from home” day.
- Make a day of it! Get your snacks and drinks ready for the day. Active in the community? Why not reach out to your network and form virtual viewing parties? Discord can accommodate private group chats for your online gathering.
Finishing NotesWe know not everybody will be able to attend on the day, and that’s OK! It will still be possible to access all of the talks at a later date, but you will need to register to get access right after the event. Happy conferencing!
Why you should ask your colleagues to keep your day free for June 17th was originally published in Neo4j Developer Blog on Medium, where people are continuing the conversation by highlighting and responding to this story.