Release Date: 13 December 2016We are very excited to introduce our landmark new release – Neo4j 3.1. We encourage everyone to download 3.1.0 and try out all the new features from here.
Neo4j 3.1 adds a new state-of-the-art clustering architecture and new security architecture to meet enterprise requirements for scale and security. This new release extends the comprehensive set of graph functionality for which Neo4j is best known and builds upon the new Official Language Drivers introduced in Neo4j 3.0.
- New Clustering Technology based on state-of-the-art RAFT protocol:
- Cluster-aware stack with built-in load balancing
- Causal consistency enabling applications to decide on cost/consistency tradeoff at query time
- New Security Foundation ensuring that authenticated users and applications can perform only authorized actions on data graph stored in Neo4j:
- Role-Based Access Control for built-in native and federated users (via LDAP connector)
- Sub-graph authorization via User-Defined Procedures
- Query listing and termination using
:queriescommand in Neo4j Browser
- Security event logging
- Database Kernel and Operations Advances:
- New execution guard to terminate long-running, end-user queries
- Ability to reallocate space from deleted records while the cluster is online
- New command line tools: cypher-shell and improved neo4j-admin
- Schema Viewer: Displays the graph model at the current point in time
- IBM Power8 CAPI Flash Support: Enables ultra-large in-memory graphs
For the complete list of all changes, please see the changelog.
When upgrading to Neo4j 3.1 for the first time, be sure to read the current upgrade instructions in the Neo4j Operations Manual, as there are additional steps and considerations.
Neo4j 3.1 supports direct upgrades from all 2.x releases (recommended to be on latest patch). Pre-2.x users need to upgrade to 2.x before upgrading to 3.1.