Information Collection and Use
We collect personal data from you when you visit our Site(s). However, to use some of the services and functionality of the Site and Products, you may be required to register for an account or fill out a form to provide us with certain personal data such as an email address that can be used to contact or identify you. For example, when you fill out a contact me or registration form to use the Neo4j software, Neo4j Desktop, Neo4j Browser, Neo4j Operations Manager or Neo4j Aura or when you register for a webinar or an event or download white papers. We collect the following personal data and use your personal data to:
- Communicate with You and Tell You About Neo4j Products and related events When you register for an account or otherwise contact us with questions or comments or submit a proposed talk, we will collect personal data such as your name, e-mail address, company name, job title and/or function and any other contact or personal data that you voluntarily transmit with your communications to us. We also may collect personal data about you that you elect to upload to the Site when you use our Site and services.
- Provide, Improve and Facilitate the Delivery of Neo4j Products When you download or use Products we may collect information about your usage of our Products, such as, product edition, version downloaded, system type and IP address, UI feature use, success/fail of a query, RAM utilization, CPU usage and database instance identifier/usage. Some of this information may be personal data. You may opt-out of our collection of certain personal data as set forth in the Choice section below. If you use the community edition of our Products, we collect this information in aggregated form only.
- Respond to your Comments or Questions or Provide information Requested by You We offer online communities and messaging through our website services and other platforms where users can share their experiences. When you choose to participate in these communications, we collect personal data and business information. If you elect to post a comment otherwise make personal data publicly available on our Site, such as in a comment to one of our blogs, other users of the Site will be able to view such comment and/or your personal data.
- Use our Support Services For customer support, you will be required to register for an account with your name, email address, company name, username and password. In addition, in connection with troubleshooting an issue, we may need to access personal data that you have used in connection with queries to our Products. If you use our Products, we will collect the information that you voluntarily include in your queries, including, personal data and business information that you may specify in your query; provided that we will not store such personal data in queries to the Neo4j Cloud Product if you parameterize your queries. Although your data will be hosted by our hosting providers when you use the Neo4j Cloud Product, your data is encrypted and we will not be able to readily access the personal data that you elect to upload to the Neo4j Cloud Product, unless you provide us with the password to your Neo4j Cloud database so we can provide you with support.
- Better understand how the Site is used We collect information about how you use our Site(s) . This information includes your IP address, your Site history and other information, such as your browser type. We use this information to analyze Site traffic and administer and improve the Site, track users’ movement, and gather broad demographic information for aggregate use.
Neo4j processes the personal data for the following purposes, based on the following legal grounds:
|Purpose of the processing||Legal basis for the processing|
|Communicate with you and tell you about Neo4j Products and related events||Pursue legitimate interests|
|Provide, improve and facilitate the delivery of Neo4j Products that you request||Fulfill contractual obligations, or if you represent a legal entity, to pursue our legitimate interests|
|Respond to your comments or questions or provide information requested by you||Fulfill contractual obligations|
|Improve the content and general administration of the Site and our services||Pursue legitimate interests|
|Provide our support services||Fulfill contractual obligations|
|Better understand how the Site is used||Pursue legitimate interests|
Neo4j’s legitimate interests are: (a) providing Products and other services to business customers; (b) sending marketing communications; and (c) maintaining, improving and administering our Products and our Site(s).
Opting-Out of Communication from Neo4j
You have the ability to “opt-out” or unsubscribe from continuing to receive any Neo4j marketing communications via email at any time. Neo4j also provides opt-out information in all marketing communications via an “unsubscribe” link in communication emails, which directly unsubscribes you from any further communication from Neo4j.
Neo4j recognizes the privacy interests of children and we encourage parents and guardians to take an active role in their children’s online activities and interests. Our Site(s) and Products are not intended for children under the age of 16. Neo4j does not target its Site(s) or Products to children under 16. Neo4j does not knowingly collect personal data from children under the age of 16.
Cookies and Tracking Data
We may use small text files called cookies and other tracking mechanisms to improve your experience with our Site(s) and our Products. We use both session ID cookies and persistent cookies on our Site. A session ID cookie expires when you close your browser. A persistent cookie remains on your hard drive for an extended period of time. To learn more about the cookies and other tracking mechanisms that we use, please see our https://neo4j.com/privacy-policy/cookies/.
Links to Third Party Sites
Social Plugins on Our Site
We may use social plugins on our Site and may include icons that allow you to interact with third party social networks such as LinkedIn, Twitter and Facebook. For example, you may “like” us or a book on Facebook or follow us or Tweet about us on Twitter. If you use our Neo4j Browser Sync, Neo4j Cloud and Neo4j Sandbox services, you will be required to login using your GitHub, LinkedIn, Twitter and/or Google credentials. The third party social plugin may set a cookie when your browser creates a connection to the servers of such social networks and the plugin may transmit your data to the social networks. Additionally, there may be places where we offer the ability for Neo4j applications to connect with third party social networks, such as Twitter or Facebook. We will collect certain data that the third party social networks provide to us and we will only use that data to provide the application for your use. Your use of these social plugins is subject to the privacy policies of the third party social networks.
Retaining your personal data
We keep your personal data for as long as we need it for the purposes for which it was collected. Where we keep your data for purposes beyond those of our contractual fulfilment, we keep the data only as long as necessary and/or mandated by law for the respective purpose. When we decide how long we will keep your information we consider the amount, nature, and sensitivity of the personal data, the potential risk of harm from unauthorized use or disclosure, why we need it, and any relevant legal requirements. We may anonymize your personal data (so that it can no longer be associated with you) for research or statistical purposes, in which case we may retain and use this information indefinitely.
We employ technical and organizational measures, consistent with industry practice, which are reasonably designed to help protect your personal data from loss, unauthorized access, disclosure, alteration or destruction. These measures may include encryption, secure socket layer and other security measures to help prevent unauthorized access to your personal data. The security of the Neo4j Browser Sync service is provided by our cloud hosting provider, Firebase and you can read more about Firebase’s security policies at https://www.firebase.com/terms/privacy-policy.html.
Your Rights Regarding Personal Data Concerning You
You have the following rights with regard to our processing of your personal data: (i) to receive confirmation whether your personal data is being processed by us, to receive information about the processing and to access your personal data, and to obtain a copy of your personal data; (ii) to object to our processing of your personal data; (iii) to have personal data concerning you deleted, and to have incorrect data about you corrected, and to restrict the processing of data concerning you; (iv) to data portability, meaning that you in certain cases have a right to receive personal data concerning you in a commonly used format, or to have it transmitted to another personal data controller in accordance with your specification; and (v) to not be subject to a decision based only on automatic processing. Please note that the exercise of these rights is not absolute, and that for some rights certain criteria must be at hand for the right to be exercised, or that certain exceptions might be applicable. In compliance with the Privacy Shield Principles, Neo4j commits to resolve complaints about our collection or use of your personal information. European Union or Swiss individuals with inquiries or complaints regarding our Privacy Shield policy should first contact Neo4j at: https://preferences.neo4j.com/privacy. If your complaint is not resolved through these channels, under limited circumstances, a binding arbitration option may be available before a Privacy Shield Panel. Neo4j has further committed to cooperate with the panel established by the EU data protection authorities (DPAs) and the Swiss Federal Data Protection and Information Commissioner (FDPIC) with regard to unresolved Privacy Shield complaints concerning human resources data transferred from the EU and Switzerland in the context of the employment relationship. In cases of onward transfer to third parties of data of EU individuals received pursuant to the EU-U.S. Privacy Shield and the Swiss-U.S. Privacy Shield, Neo4j is potentially liable. Neo4j provides you with the ability to review and update the registration information that you provide to us by contacting us at https://preferences.neo4j.com/privacy.
Exercise Your Rights; Questions
Notice to Users Outside of the United States of America (Transfers)
If you have any complaints regarding our processing of your personal data, you may file a complaint to the competent data protection authority. You can find out more about the local data protection authorities under the following link https://ec.europa.eu/justice/data-protection/bodies/authorities/index_en.htm.
Contact Information for European Companies
Neo4j Sweden AB: Nordenskiöldsgatan 24, 211 19 Malmö, Sweden Neo4j UK Limited: Second Floor, Union House, 182 – 194 Union St, London SE1 0LH, United Kingdom Neo4j Germany GmbH: ℅ Work Republic, Viktualienmarkt 8, 80331 Munchen, Germany