Graph Database Leader Neo Technology Declares Record 2015
Named “the most popular graph database” by Forrester & a firm fixture in Gartner’s Magic Quadrant, Neo continues to dominate the “fastest growing category in database management”
SAN MATEO, Calif. – Neo Technology, creator of the world’s leading graph database, Neo4j, concluded its strongest year yet in 2015 and has been named “the most popular graph database” in Forrester’s Market Overview of the technology. Neo also appeared in Gartner’s Magic Quadrant for Operational Database Management Systems for the second time, and received several additional industry accolades during its record 12 months of growth, market momentum and new launches.
Leading analysts continue to underscore the tremendous opportunity Neo Technology is exploiting with its advanced database technology. Its Neo4j graph database works differently from traditional relational databases, “connecting the dots” by forming dynamic relationships between different data sources. Systems integrators and developers can use the platform to build the next generation of intelligent applications, enabling disruptive business innovation.
Forrester Research predicts that 25 percent of all enterprises will use graph databases by 2017, while Gartner Research reports that graph databases are the fastest-growing category in database management systems, and that “by the end of 2018, 70 percent of leading organizations will have one or more pilot or proof-of-concept efforts underway utilizing graph databases.”
“2015 was a ground-breaking year for Neo,” said Emil Eifrem, Neo Technology’s CEO and co-founder. “Two strong forces continue to propel our growth, with no sign of slowing down. One is the overall market’s increasing adoption of graph databases in the enterprise. The other is the extensive market validation of Neo4j’s ability to support mission-critical operational applications across a wide range of industries and functions. We look forward to a similarly strong year in 2016.
 TechRadar™: Enterprise DBMS, Q1 2014. Forrester Research. February 13, 2014.
 Gartner, Making Big Data Normal With Graph Analysis for the Masses. July 27, 2015.
Neo Technology 2015 Highlights and Milestones include:
- Close to 150% growth in customer accounts, including the addition of adidas Group, one of the world’s most famous and valuable brands.
- Continued Neo4j adoption by the Global 2000, which now accounts for more than one third of all customers including UBS, Western Union, LinkedIn, Monsanto, Walmart, eBay, Slovak Finance Ministry, HP, Cisco and Virtual Instruments.
- More than 150 startups enrolled in the Neo4j Startup Program.
- Securing of $20 million in Series C funding, led by Creandum with Dawn Capital, bringing Neo’s current total investment to $41.6 million.
- Two major product releases: Neo4j 2.2 and Neo4j 2.3, significantly improve scalability and convenience. Top features include a fully off-heap in-memory page cache, a cost-based optimizer, new enterprise schema features and official Docker support.
- Release of Neo4j on IBM POWER8, a collaboration between Neo4j and IBM that significantly raises the potential for large-scale in-memory graph database processing, with 56 TB of near-memory processing on POWER8.
- Launch of openCypher, an industry-wide initiative contributing Neo4j’s Cypher query language as a new bridging language for graphs, supported by Oracle, Databricks, Tableau and other leading companies
- Continued Partner program success: Substantial growth in partner activity. Strategic SIs including Accenture, Cap Gemini and Deloitte are all involved in important customer implementations of Neo4j, while Amazon Web Services, Heroku, HP, Talend, Trifork and Windows Azure have all joined the Neo4j partner graph.
- Participation by the largest community of graph enthusiasts in more than 440 Neo4j worldwide events. A Neo4j meetup, training or office hour took place daily as 30,000+ Neo4j community members met in 88 cities across 31 countries.
- Record attendance at GraphConnect San Francisco 2015: 1,000+ global graph enthusiasts visited the San Francisco event in October.